Friday, January 9, 2009

Japanese Souvenirs

When you go to pick up someone at the airport, you can usually figure out where arriving people are from by looking at the gift shop bags of the airport. When I used to work at Detroit airport, our team used to check the passengers group by looking at those bags. This one on the photo is the bag from Tokyo Narita Aiport which my cousin Mon-chan brought.

Inside the bag was filled with yummy stuff!

These are ramen noodles produced by famous ramen shops in Japan. Inside the boxes are uncooked soft noodles and soup.

Mon-chan couple and we ate one of them together with lots of vegetables, and after Mon-chan left, Aibo-kun and I ate the other box. Both of then were so tasty and we enjoyed them more than eating at any ramen restaurants in LA.

Ramen is so popular in Japan that whenever we go back, it is on our "must eat in Japan" list.

The next one in a red wrapping is spicy cod roe. We usually enjoy them with freshly cooked write rice, but Aibo-kun's favorite way to eat them is with "kuri-gohan", so I cooked some and enjoyed them together. This was a very good quality one that I was very very satisfied!

The sweets was special, too.
As soon as seeing the round packages, I was soooo excited! This is one of the most famous and most difficult caramel candies to get in Japan right now. They are produced by a famous Japanese comedian who owns his own farm in Hokkaido (northern Japan), and even you are in Japan, most people have hard time getting them.

Mon-chan ordered them on-line and the moment you put one in your mouth, it melts on your tongue. The photo is the chocolate flavor one, and we also got to taste the original one. Personally, I like the original one better.


Then the main gift really made me excited! It is a egg pan made with copper. I always wanted one, and when Mon-chan and I went shopping together in Tokyo last spring, I almost bought one, but didn't, and really regreted that I didn't get it. Mon-chan wanted to try using it, so we cooked two eggs, and voila! It turned out beautifully.



For sure, I will cook eggs more often then ever.

Thank you Mon-chan!

3 comments:

yu said...

Hi, How have you been? I am good. I am so impressed with your English blog. You are challenging something new. All the pictures of Japanese products you posted here look so YUMMY! I have a few chances to get those things as well. My husband usually stops by Narita airport when he goes to Korea for business trips. I wish he could go there again in the near future…Take Care! Yu.

ako k said...

Hi yu,
Thanks for the comment!
I'm glad you like my English blog. It takes more time than my Japanese one, but this is a good challenge for me.

Does your husband still go for business trips often? The ramen noodles were good, so give them a try!

Nina C said...

Hi!
Can I find the Ramen pictured in your blog anywhere here in Southern California?

Hope you're well,
Nina.