Sunday, November 9, 2008

Chestnut Rice ~ Kuri Gohan ~

As I planned the other day, I got more chestnuts, and instead of making more "shibukawani", I've decided to cook chestnut rice this time.

After returning home, I boiled the chestnuts for a few minuts, and let it soke until the water was cool enough to put your fingers in. This process will let the outer skin soften and makes it easier to peel.

When I just started peeling them, Aibo-kun got home earlier than expected with hungry stomach, but I really felt like eating the chestnut rice, and in order to prep dinner, had to finish peeling them.

Finally the peeling was done, and time to cook the rice! Washed the rice, added sake, soy sauce, and salt to add flavor, and cooked the same way as I usually cook my rice, in my favorite "Le Creuset" pot.

While waiting for the rice to cook, I prepped other side dishes like vegetables and soup.

Good quality "Tarako" (salted cod roe) was in my fridge, so I added some to our dish as well.

Then finally!!! Our dinner time has arrived.


Introducing a traditional Japanese dish, "Kuri Gohan" (chestnut rice).

Chestnuts kind of taste like Japanese yellow sweet potato (not yam), but has its own crunchiness remaining in this dish. It turned out so well, and Aibo-kun was so pleased, I should make it again before the chestnuts disappear from the store.

No comments: